RICHPLANET.NET FORUM : WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME.  THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.<br>
There is still no decision on whether new members will be added.  This can only happen when suitable moderators are in place, who are not easy to find for obvious reasons. www.richplanet.net community built on miniBB / RICHPLANET.NET FORUM : WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME. THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.
There is still no decision on whether new members will be added. This can only happen when suitable moderators are in place, who are not easy to find for obvious reasons.
/

MISCELLANEOUS

Page:  ««  1  2  ...  715  716  717  718  719  ...  726  727  »» 
nordsee220
#10741 | Posted: 17 Dec 2016 12:18
There isn't a fibre cable to the house. With BT and the majority of ISP's the fibre cable only goes to the cabinet in the street somewhere. After that you have the bog standard shitty overhead or (very rarely) buried bit of wire you had years ago.

With companies like Virgin however the fibre goes to the cabinet and is then delivered to your home via a coaxial cable, usually buried. The losses are far less than BT's overhead bits of wire that were never intended to deliver anything better than a dismembered voice sounding like a couple of tin cans with string between but powered by huge batteries that scratched and crackled as they passed their end of useful life.

BT's system is outdated and completely inferior to proper broadband and no matter which company you use if it comes down your phone line it's the same shit as you'll get with any provider. Just like having a leaking hosepipe. No matter whether you send hot or cold water, petrol or beer down it, it will still be a leaky old hosepipe.

Britain is still in the 1950's with its infrastructure of wooden poles and overhead wires while the profits of these giants soar into the 21st century greed age.

Ages of man: Stone age, bronze age, iron age, machine age, greed age.
Joe
#10742 | Posted: 17 Dec 2016 12:34
nordsee220:
There isn't a fibre cable to the house. With BT and the majority of ISP's the fibre cable only goes to the cabinet in the street somewhere.

I remember asking the so-called BT engineer the above question as well and he gave me a vague answer (he did not seem to be sure), not as descriptive as the one you gave.
nordsee220
#10743 | Posted: 17 Dec 2016 13:48 | Edited by: nordsee220
All you need ask is this: Did they either dig up your street & garden or climb up your wall to install a new cable? If you feel really adventurous, take off the cover of your BT master box in your house. Do you see wires (white with blue trace and blue with white trace etc) or do you see a coaxial cable a bit like satellite TV or CB coax?
If you see coax, you need to go to Specsavers because your eyes are playing tricks.
If you see wires, thin and coloured going to an IDC (insulation displacement connector) terminal block then you are on the old copper wire shite.

I'll show my hairy arse in Fenwicks (or even Boots) window if you see coax.

BT Fibre is a bloody con trick. It's not an out and out lie as they do bring fibre to the big equipment box somewhere within 400 metres or so of your house. After that, it's stinky old copper wires. Twisted pair. Shite.

And as for "copper" wire - for a long time they used aluminium. Try finding a piece and soldering it!
Kozmik
#10744 | Posted: 17 Dec 2016 18:09
We get something like 3.5 meg, enough to watch HD movies without buffering on the standard broadband over shit copper wires. But if someone calls the house phone then the movie will stop! But I refuse to pay even more for the faster version and just put up with it, ho hum. There are always engineers fiddling about in the fibre optic cabinet, people must have lots of problems!
Desdichado
#10745 | Posted: 17 Dec 2016 18:22
Joe:
I remember asking the so-called BT engineer the above question as well and he gave me a vague answer (he did not seem to be sure), not as descriptive as the one you gave.

Same here. The local cable company touts its fibre optic service but my connection is copper. It's still pretty fast, well, fast enough for my needs, but at work it was causing problems. We just switched from AT&T to a full cable ISP and the difference is appreciable. Most of our filings are done electronically now so a fast service is a must. Moreover, all of our files are kept on a cloud server but we still have to keep paper copies. That's not going to change any time soon.
nordsee220
#10746 | Posted: 17 Dec 2016 18:42
If you went to a fuel station and they said, "For thirty quid you get up to 5 gallons" then learned you actually got two, would you be happy?
If you went to the bar and were told that for three quid you get up to a pint of beer then learned you were actually getting just a quarter of a pint, would you be happy?
Likewise with a car that will supposedly do up to eighty miles per hour but you find you can't do above 20.

So why oh why do we sit with fingers up arses, paying for "up to 50Mb/s", getting only 6 or so and say it's good enough?

Reason: Because we are terrified of talking to the geeks who will try their damndest to baffle us with pseudo psyence to make us seem like ignorant twats. We should be saying, "I am not interested in your BS. I want what I am paying for. Why am I penalised because YOUR infrastructure in this area isn't capable of performing?
skipman
#10747 | Posted: 17 Dec 2016 23:14
This could prove very embarrassing for NATO,as the article goes on to say,hteir capture could be used for horse trading and kept quiet.

http://21stcenturywire.com/2016/12/16/reports-at-least-10-nato-military-officers-capt ured-by-syrian-special-forces-this-morning-in-east-aleppo-bunker/
skipman
#10748 | Posted: 18 Dec 2016 17:42
skipman
#10749 | Posted: 21 Dec 2016 00:03
Trump is putting anti Iranian people into his government.

What is your impression of Iran?

Is it like this person's was? He realised that he had been played. Are they going to do the same as they did with Saddam and is WMD?

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/christian-christmas-snowy-iran/ri18259
skipman
#10750 | Posted: 21 Dec 2016 21:30
Legarde is found guilty,but faces no punishment,she even left the country before the verdict was announced.

Hammond, Britain's defense minister admits to selling cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia,even though the use of them is banned.

An campaigners in Yorkshire have lost their appeal against fracking.

I sometimes think I am in an alternate reality.
skipman
#10751 | Posted: 21 Dec 2016 21:50
skipman
#10752 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 17:11
Obama got into office by saying he was going to do things differently. Be transparent,no lobbyists yadda yadda yadda.

Look how that turned out.

http://ftmdaily.com/global-issues/big-brother-government-global-issues/252-ways-presi dent-obama-has-systematically-destroyed-america/

Trump got into office by saying he was going to do things differently....watch this space.
skipman
#10753 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 19:08
skipman
#10754 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 19:16
skipman
#10755 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 20:20
skipman:
This could prove very embarrassing for NATO,

The Syrian Ambassador to the U.N. Has given a press conference naming some of the "intelligence officers" that are in East Alleppo.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Syria_Ambassador_Reveals_Names_Of_Alleged_WesternSaudi GCC_Intelligence_Agents_Trapped_In_East_Aleppo/55938/0/38/38/Y/M.html

The Western MSM are quiet about it.
 Page:  ««  1  2  ...  715  716  717  718  719  ...  726  727  »» 
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please enter your login/password details upon posting a message, or sign up first
TO JOIN THIS FORUM: WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME. THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.
We may be considering adding new members on a "block basis". We will collect new member requests and then introduce a new batch. The new memebrs will be identifiable by a prefix in their username as a "new member". Anyone considered to be trolling or causing trouble will be immedialtey removed. To be put on the list please email richard@richplanet.net AND GIVE YOUR US NAME, A USERNAME, PASSWORD. I would imagine a new batch of new members will be added in January 2012.

Forums are powered by miniBB®