RICHPLANET.NET FORUM : WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME.  THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.<br>
There is still no decision on whether new members will be added.  This can only happen when suitable moderators are in place, who are not easy to find for obvious reasons. www.richplanet.net community built on miniBB / RICHPLANET.NET FORUM : WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME. THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.
There is still no decision on whether new members will be added. This can only happen when suitable moderators are in place, who are not easy to find for obvious reasons.
/

MISCELLANEOUS

Page:  ««  1  2  ...  113  114  115  116  117  ...  760  761  »» 
dreamkatcher
#1711 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 00:44
Starseed
#1712 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 00:50 | Edited by: Starseed
Forget it...
dreamkatcher
#1713 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 14:18
The 'In The Know' discussion begins opens with the question,
"Most videogames take place in a dangerous post-apocalyptic
world -- but are they doing enough to train our kids to live
in the post-apocalyptic future that we will all soon face?"

Pundits argue that today's kids are going to be spending the
rest of their lives desperately fighting for survival, so
it's only important that they be given the fundamentals, in
order to be successful in whatever nightmare scenario in which
they'll doubtless find themselves.

Simply put, playing video games in solitude is the best way
that we currently have to prepare our kids for how to survive
in a barren wasteland.

Video:

http://www.forbiddenknowledgetv.com/page/733.html
dark star
#1714 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 14:47
dreamkatcher:
sion begins opens with the question,
"Most videogames take place in a dangerous post-apocalyptic
world -- but are they doing enough to train our kids to live
in the post-apocalyptic future that we will all soon face?"

Pundits argue that today's kids are going to be spending the
rest of their lives desperately fighting for survival, so
it's only important that they be given the fundamentals, in
order to be successful in whatever nightmare scenario in which
they'll doubtless find themselves.

Simply put, playing video games in solitude is the best way
that we currently have to prepare our kids for how to survive
in a barren wasteland.

In order to survive any such post apocalypse scenario simple sitting in front of a computer playing imaginary games is a useless practice.
Hands on experience coupled with simple instruction is needed.
Reading " When all hell breaks loose" by Cody Lundin and practicing the lessons therein is a good start.
This is also true with weapons,its no good simply clicking a mouse to disharge a 9mm pistol.
Safty proceedure and cleaning are the first things you have to know.

Most people wouldn,t survive more than 2 weeks if our civilisation crashed.
What do you do when water stops flowing to your taps ?
dreamkatcher
#1715 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 15:24
Really good points DS. I agree totally, having spent more than half of my life so far using guns (rough shooting) & know nothing else counts more than practise. I dont think kids joining cadets, etc. is good, as all they do is put them in forces to be cannon fodder. IMO.

My husband (decd) was in Army & manfriend teaches survival. Ill look for that book.

We need to learn how to get food, drinkable water (hydrogen peroxide & MMS?), know if it is safe to eat what we find, stock up on dry goods, tins, etc. & all survivalists stress "not to forget toilet roll."

Hopefully it will not happen, but here's a link. http://www.campingsurvival.com/

I KNOW its not like camping, but the same things could be needed, also remembering First Aid supplies.

dk
dark star
#1716 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 16:24
dreamkatcher:
ood points DS. I agree totally, having spent more than half of my life so far using guns (rough shooting) & know nothing else counts more than practise. I dont think kids joining cadets, etc. is good, as all they do is put them in forces to be cannon fodder. IMO.

My husband (decd) was in Army & manfriend teaches survival. Ill look for that book.

We need to learn how to get food, drinkable water (hydrogen peroxide & MMS?), know if it is safe to eat what we find, stock up on dry goods, tins, etc. & all survivalists stress "not to forget toilet roll."

Hopefully it will not happen, but here's a link. http://www.campingsurvival.com/

I KNOW its not like camping, but the same things could be needed, also remembering First Aid supplies.

dk

I try to encourage my 2 kids away from 'gadgets' and xboxes and all that hypnotic addictive rubbish.I think keeping then more focussed on outdoor activities where their mind and body are active is the simplist way to prepare them.After good health all else will follow.
90% of survival is attitude.

Yes,its so simple to make water safe to drink.....but if you dont know it your gonna suffer,die most likely.Its all basic stuff,but people dont consider it a necessity,they think Tescos shelves will always feed them.I call that nieve.

Personally I would feel a little uneasy these days if i lived in a city or any area of high population,people are preditors.

A few drops of strong house hold bleach in any water you suspect of contamination should make it safe.....if you cannot smell the bleach before drinking then add a little more untill you can detect the slight smell.Alternatively UV rays from the Sun can kill most harmfull bacteria.
telecaster
#1717 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:03
Well said DS !
T.
dreamkatcher
#1718 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:13
My eldest plays football, rugby for the school, plays basketball for big team up here, walks 5 miles to school & 5 miles back most days, his only indoor pastime is his guitar/band practices.

Middle one lives on a hill farm not far from the Scottish Border, & its rough up there. He has ridden a quad bike since he was 4.1/2, fed sheep/cows/horses in all weathers before & after school, looks after orphan lambs at lambing time. Its hard work even for an adult. He lifts full sacks of feed with no bother. The eldest one loves going there on school holidays to help out. They work alongside each other & get on great.

Id love to live there, but at present live on the edge of a new town !! Enough said.

dk
dreamkatcher
#1719 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:15
telecaster

How are you? Been quite a while. Anymore experiences?

dk
dark star
#1720 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:15 | Edited by: dark star
telecaster:
Well said DS !

Hello T me ol, mucker....hows it going ? Long time no see.
dreamkatcher
#1721 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:17
snap. Look at times we sent DS
dreamkatcher
#1722 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:36
Look at this one.

Web Censorship Bill Sails Through Senate Committee
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/coica-web-censorship-bill/

November 18, 2010

Who says Congress never gets anything done?
On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved a bill that would give the Attorney General the right to shut down websites with a court order if copyright infringement is deemed "central to the activity" of the site regardless if the website has actually committed a crime. The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) is among the most draconian laws ever considered to combat digital piracy, and contains what some have called the "nuclear option," which would essentially allow the Attorney General to turn suspected websites "off."
dreamkatcher
#1723 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 21:45
telecaster
#1724 | Posted: 21 Nov 2010 22:51
Hi guys and gals,
having loads of experiences at home and outdoors !
Haven`t been on RP lately so I`m going through the
posts to see if I`ve missed anything.
Cheers,
T.
dreamkatcher
#1725 | Posted: 22 Nov 2010 04:28
 Page:  ««  1  2  ...  113  114  115  116  117  ...  760  761  »» 
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please enter your login/password details upon posting a message, or sign up first
TO JOIN THIS FORUM: WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME. THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.
We may be considering adding new members on a "block basis". We will collect new member requests and then introduce a new batch. The new memebrs will be identifiable by a prefix in their username as a "new member". Anyone considered to be trolling or causing trouble will be immedialtey removed. To be put on the list please email richard@richplanet.net AND GIVE YOUR US NAME, A USERNAME, PASSWORD. I would imagine a new batch of new members will be added in January 2012.

Forums are powered by miniBB®