RICHPLANET.NET FORUM : WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME.  THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.<br>
There is still no decision on whether new members will be added.  This can only happen when suitable moderators are in place, who are not easy to find for obvious reasons. www.richplanet.net community built on miniBB / RICHPLANET.NET FORUM : WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME. THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.
There is still no decision on whether new members will be added. This can only happen when suitable moderators are in place, who are not easy to find for obvious reasons.
/

TRIVIA

Page:  ««  1  2  ...  123  124  125  126  127  ...  196  197  »» 
Joe
#1861 | Posted: 27 Feb 2012 21:25 | Edited by: Joe
dreamkatcher:
Eureka, it did, so he reckons the man who upgraded my desktop used an "older" Mother board which cannot convert the keyboard, & has offered to do it for free tomorrow.

Dk, do you mean this person opened up your computer and changed the "Motherboard"?

When a computer reaches that stage in life, it's a job not worth doing; the "Motherboard" is the guts of the computer and can give you no end of problems by putting in a different one it's not designed to handle!

Effectively, changing the "Motherboard" means you have a different computer, and one, which may not be compatible with the other components inside - what a BASTARD!

He should fix your computer for "free", he's offering you nothing Dk, considering he messed it up in the first place for you. Quite honestly, Dk, you will be much better off having a new computer with Windows 7 already programmed into it, at least then every component will be compatible and working properly - less expense and aggravation in the end.
dreamkatcher
#1862 | Posted: 27 Feb 2012 23:40
Joe:
Dk, do you mean this person opened up your computer and changed the "Motherboard"?

Its not the person who upgraded my pc who is going to sort it tomorrow. The original person wont even answer the phone. I cant afford a new computer, so this is the best way for me.

I wish the circumstances were different, but they arent.

It was a re-build job, to stop my system being hacked. Fortunately the new search engine I was given by a friend works in that case. I have 2 alternatives

a) I can save up for a new pc or

b) See if Motherboard will be enough

Either way, I think its going to cost more than I can afford.

dk

ps I could spend my spare time going back to College, to learn how to fix my pc...
Arrmand
#1863 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 10:51
So sorry to hear your having a shitty time DK, I got a computer I no longer use, but it needs the hard drive cleaned out and re installed xp or win7 I can't give you the monitor but your welcome to the Base and key board and mouse?
then it depends on where you stay its not something I would send via the post its too heavy and will get mashed up
Joe
#1864 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 12:41 | Edited by: Joe
dreamkatcher:
a) I can save up for a new pc or

b) See if Motherboard will be enough

Either way, I think its going to cost more than I can afford.

Alternatively, a third way possibly Dk, you can just use your laptop for the time being until you have saved some money to buy a new desktop.
dreamkatcher
#1865 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 17:50
Arrmand:
So sorry to hear your having a shitty time DK, I got a computer I no longer use, but it needs the hard drive cleaned out and re installed xp or win7 I can't give you the monitor but your welcome to the Base and key board and mouse?
then it depends on where you stay its not something I would send via the post its too heavy and will get mashed up

Thanks Arrmand, that is a lovely thought & appreciated.

I spoke to my friend today, & he is 99.9% it is the Motherboard as he's had a few cases the same, but says he will check it free of charge. He's always been fair with me in the past. I should just have stayed with him. Ive got a brand new monitor, keyboard (3 of them|) & 2 Mice (is that plural for 2 mouses?, lol. ) My tower unit is supposedly a one built with new parts, but looks like I was conned. Makes it worse being my son-in-laws best friend. Maybe he is reading this??? I know he does sometimes.

Im Newcastle area anyway

Joe:
Alternatively, a third way possibly Dk, you can just use your laptop for the time being until you have saved some money to buy a new desktop.

I had already fathomed that one out, but thanks for the suggestion. Ive been sorting my finances all morning & maybe wont be as long as I thought until I can manage.
abitofgreen
#1866 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 18:16
dreamkatcher:
I spoke to my friend today, & he is 99.9% it is the Motherboard as he's had a few cases the same, but says he will check it free of charge. He's always been fair with me in the past. I should just have stayed with him. Ive got a brand new monitor, keyboard (3 of them|) & 2 Mice (is that plural for 2 mouses?, lol. ) My tower unit is supposedly a one built with new parts, but looks like I was conned. Makes it worse being my son-in-laws best friend. Maybe he is reading this??? I know he does sometimes.

I would look at hardware before software everytime for something like a keyboard or mouse especially since you have a laptop to try them on to verify if working correctly.

Try not to jump to conclusions re the motherboard. I change my motherboard, processor and ram every 18 months or so and have never had any issues connecting any of my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, hardrive, power supply etc.). Only if I've needed a USB speed upgrade have i had to change anything. I've done all my own repair work for years, build my own PC's and sort all my own software problems out.

The best way to learn is by teaching yourself. The search engine is your friend. Everytime i've needed an answer to a software or hardware problem i've just googled it and usually straight away an answer has presented itself. If not change the wording in your question. Everything is out there online to fix any and all PC problems. I've fixed many PC's both hardware and software but i always try to get the friend or relative to fix it themselves as that's the only way to empower yourself and learn. They really are simple things to work on and you could train a monkey to build one.

I don't bother with registry cleaners either and havn't for a long time. I advise people i know to stay away from them unless they are familiar with the registry. It's been shown countless times that they are not always correct in removing the right items and can lead to more problems. I just partition my operating system off from the rest of my drives and periodically do a fresh install of windows as it only has a half life of about 18 months before it starts playing up. Each to there own though if you feel confident messing with the registry.
abitofgreen
#1867 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 18:22
dreamkatcher:
I had already fathomed that one out, but thanks for the suggestion. Ive been sorting my finances all morning & maybe wont be as long as I thought until I can manage.

You don't need a new desktop DK....i've ugraded dozens of PC's with motherboard prcessor and ram ugrades...much, MUCH cheaper. Plus it sounds like you've got many new bits already in there so bringing it up to speed and getting everything woring correctly certainly desn't need a new PC.
Joe
#1868 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 20:54 | Edited by: Joe
abitofgreen:
I don't bother with registry cleaners either and havn't for a long time.

The computer's registry does need cleaning after a while, otherwise broken registry just accumulates, and the computer will just become sluggish and eventually all manner of problems will occur.

Every computer needs a good registry cleaner though, not a rogue one. You may have had bad experiences in the past by having been conned into downloading a registry cleaner that was not up to the job, and did more than just clean the registry out.

As I've already suggested to someone on here, a good FREE registry program to download, is one called "Eusing". I have used it for many years with no problem what so ever, and it will make a back up copy for piece of mind - which I've never had to use.

abitofgreen:
You don't need a new desktop DK....i've ugraded dozens of PC's with motherboard prcessor and ram ugrades...much, MUCH cheaper. Plus it sounds like you've got many new bits already in there so bringing it up to speed and getting everything woring correctly certainly desn't need a new PC.

Remember, Dk is not computer savvy like you, and she's had so-called experts in the past trying to fix her computer, to no avail. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and in the end, getting a brand new computer is the only answer - at least all the components will be compatible and not messed about by somebody that does not know what they are doing.
abitofgreen
#1869 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 21:46
Joe:
The computer's registry does need cleaning after a while, otherwise broken registry just accumulates, and the computer will just become sluggish and eventually all manner of problems will occur.

I don't find that to be the case at all. Most people just don't add and remove enough programmes to warrant having a registry cleaner at all. The amount of software problems i have had to deal with in the past because of bad deletions from registry cleaners is too many to mention.

Joe:
Every computer needs a good registry cleaner though, not a rogue one. You may have had bad experiences in the past by having been conned into downloading a registry cleaner that was not up to the job, and did more than just clean the registry out.

Nope I haven't been conned here. I've used legitimate programmes in the past and found their negative effects outweighed the benefits. I haven't used them for 5 or 6 years so maybe they have got better. I have not used them at all in that time and have never felt like i have missed anything. Like i said before.... windows has a half life and you would struggle to get 18 months out of it before problems start arising, therefore i re-install windows every 18 months or so (as is widely recommended) and my systems always runs smoothly. There are a lot of people out there still, on the net, having lots of problems using a registry cleaner. I just think for a novice with no knowledge of the registry these cleaners would be best avoided....So let's agree to disagree?

Joe:
Remember, Dk is not computer savvy like you, and she's had so-called experts in the past trying to fix her computer, to no avail. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and in the end, getting a brand new computer is the only answer - at least all the components will be compatible and not messed about by somebody that does not know what they are doing.

I'm not doubting DK's PC repair men. I've done this job myself for 3 years in the past and it's common to change a motherboard, as long as the processor and ram matches, it is often the best solution. To say that changing the motherboard makes someone a "BASTARD* is just plain wrong and terrible advice. If you go in any reputable PC shop or check out big online companies like scan and ebuyer they all sell motherboard upgrades/bundles that fit in with the rest of your components. It IS the cheapest way to upgrade a computer.....period!

I don't agree that buying a new PC is the answer....

I could take any PC over the last 5 years and upgrade it, speed wise, for 150 that would out-perform any new PC you could buy for 600 or more and you could get that upgrade fitted for another 30 or 40 quid ( I'm not touting for business BTW, l don't work in that line anymore). I'm trying to save an old lady spending money she doesn't need too! I don't for one minute believe that DK would have to spend more than 100, absolute max, to get her PC flying again and that is a lot cheaper than a new PC!....So again we will have to agree to disagree.
Joe
#1870 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 22:55 | Edited by: Joe
abitofgreen:
I don't find that to be the case at all. Most people just don't add and remove enough programmes to warrant having a registry cleaner at all. The amount of software problems i have had to deal with in the past because of bad deletions from registry cleaners is too many to mention.

Not so, there are many people that add and remove programs all the time, especially amongst the younger population that add and remove video games - and that is a big population - if not the majority. And I have already mentioned to you, you need a genuine registry cleaner to do the job properly.

abitofgreen:
windows has a half life and you would struggle to get 18 months out of it before problems start arising, therefore i re-install windows every 18 months or so (as is widely recommended) and my systems always runs smoothly. There are a lot of people out there still, on the net, having lots of problems using a registry cleaner. I just think for a novice with no knowledge of the registry these cleaners would be best avoided....So let's agree to disagree?

If you are having to re-install Windows every "eighteen months" (which is ridiculous), then it's probably because you are not using a registry cleaner or some other problem you are having.

I have only ever had to re-install Windows once on my computer, because it was hacked into, and that was three years ago now. A good genuine registry cleaner is one of the main tools that will keep your computer running at optimum levels - whether you agree with that or not.

abitofgreen:
To say that changing the motherboard makes someone a "BASTARD* is just plain wrong and terrible advice. If you go in any reputable PC shop or check out big online companies like scan and ebuyer they all sell motherboard upgrades/bundles that fit in with the rest of your components. It IS the cheapest way to upgrade a computer.....period!

He is a "BASTARD", and I stick by that - like so many rogues in business, and he would not even return Dk's phone calls - and don't make excuses for that one!

Of course there are places that sell motherboards etc, and there has been many people that have tried to upgrade their system and wished they never got involved with the job, the trouble that it causes can have no end. Going back and from the shop, making endless phone calls, speaking to somebody that knows nothing about computers etc.

Once they have your money in their hands, that's it - and the poor sucker is running around like a blue-arse fly trying to find the right components to get his/her computer to work. All this could have been avoided if they had bought a new computer in the first place, and cost them far less money and aggravation. Many people have fallen into that trap and learned from this lesson.

abitofgreen:
I could take any PC over the last 5 years and upgrade it, speed wise, for 150 that would out-perform any new PC you could buy for 600 or more and you could get that upgrade fitted for another 30 or 40 quid ( I'm not touting for business BTW, l don't work in that line anymore). I'm trying to save an old lady spending money she doesn't need too! I don't for one minute believe that DK would have to spend more than 100, absolute max, to get her PC flying again and that is a lot cheaper than a new PC!....So again we will have to agree to disagree.

Yes, we will have to "agree to disagree".
abitofgreen
#1871 | Posted: 28 Feb 2012 23:23
Joe:
abitofgreen:

Not so, there are many people that add and remove programs all the time, especially amongst the younger population that add and remove video games - and that is a big population - if not the majority. And I have already mentioned to you, you need a genuine registry cleaner to do the job properly.

abitofgreen:
windows has a half life and you would struggle to get 18 months out of it before problems start arising, therefore i re-install windows every 18 months or so (as is widely recommended) and my systems always runs smoothly. There are a lot of people out there still, on the net, having lots of problems using a registry cleaner. I just think for a novice with no knowledge of the registry these cleaners would be best avoided....So let's agree to disagree?

If you are having to re-install Windows every "eighteen months" (which is ridiculous), then it's probably because you are not using a registry cleaner or some other problem you are having.

I have only ever had to re-install Windows once on my computer, because it was hacked into, and that was three years ago now. A good genuine registry cleaner is one of the main tools that will keep your computer running at optimum levels - whether you agree with that or not.

abitofgreen:
To say that changing the motherboard makes someone a "BASTARD* is just plain wrong and terrible advice. If you go in any reputable PC shop or check out big online companies like scan and ebuyer they all sell motherboard upgrades/bundles that fit in with the rest of your components. It IS the cheapest way to upgrade a computer.....period!

He is a "BASTARD", and I stick by that - like so many rogues in business, and he would not even return Dk's phone calls - and don't make excuses for that one!

Of course there places that sell motherboards etc, and there has been many people that have tried to upgraded their system and wished they never got involved with the job, the trouble that it causes can have no end. Going back and from the shop, making endless phone calls, speaking to somebody that knows nothing about computers etc.

Once they have your money in their hands, that's it - and the poor sucker is running around like a blue-arse fly trying to find the right components to get his/her computer to work. All this could have been avoided if they had bought a new computer in the first place, and cost them far less money and aggravation. Many people have fallen into that trap and learned from this lesson.

abitofgreen:

Yes, we will have to "agree to disagree".

Yep....best we agree to disagree!

Joe:

Which young people on here who add and remove video games have you recommended that too? I thought I'd explained i had used a legitimate registry cleaner!

Joe:

It's widely known Windows has a half life. Do a bit of research and you will see that. Again it is widely recommended to re-install Windows every 18 months to 2 years although i believe the half life of Windows 7 is longer.

Don't listen to a word i say....I've only 14 years of building and fixing my own computers and 3 years working in the industry. I came across many arm-chair experts in my time and you can't reason with them!......I wouldn't want you to believe me either DK or anybody else....do your own research and find out for yourself. Thought i would try to stop someone spending money they didn't need too.....nothing more....nothing less and i stand by everything I've said.

I'm not going to argue with you Joe...I do know what I'm talking about here. I'm not saying a registry cleaner is useless and unnecessary...just it is for most, average users, who wouldn't have a clue what they were deleting. You called a guy a bastard and gave the wrong impression about him when he has just carried out an ordinary upgrade, and without ANYTHING at all concrete to go on....in fact you are so way off the mark it's untrue!
Joe
#1872 | Posted: 29 Feb 2012 00:03 | Edited by: Joe
abitofgreen:
Which young people on here who add and remove video games have you recommended that too? I thought I'd explained i had used a legitimate registry cleaner!

You were talking generally and I'm talking generally - not on here!

Obviously, your registry cleaner was not "legitimate" enough, if it was giving you problems as you previously stated.

abitofgreen:
It's widely known Windows has a half life. Do a bit of research and you will see that. Again it is widely recommended to re-install Windows every 18 months to 2 years although i believe the half life of Windows 7 is longer.

I Don't need to do research on this, I'm telling you from my own experience (the best way to learn) and from others I know. As I have already mentioned to you, I have not done a re-install for three years and the computer is working fine.

abitofgreen:
Don't listen to a word i say....

I listen to you - I just don't agree with you...

abitofgreen:
I'm not going to argue with you Joe...I do know what I'm talking about here. I'm not saying a registry cleaner is useless and unnecessary...just it is for most, average users, who wouldn't have a clue what they were deleting. You called a guy a bastard and gave the wrong impression about him when he has just carried out an ordinary upgrade, and without ANYTHING at all concrete to go on....in fact you are so way off the mark it's untrue!

You seem to know how to "argue" without arguing then!

How many times do I need to keep on explaining, there is no problem with a good registry cleaner like the one I mentioned to you, so many times now "Eusing registry cleaner". People don't need to have a "clue" about the registry, that is what registry cleaners are for - to make life easy for them!

You had a bad experience with them, that's your problem - you had a bad one!

And get over that guy I called a "bastard", what's up with you? He messed up Dk's computer and he did not have the courtesy to return her phone calls - is he a friend of yours or something?
dreamkatcher
#1873 | Posted: 29 Feb 2012 00:11
Joe & ABOG,

Ive taken in all you say. I have a search engine which isnt traceable, use CCleaner every time I log off, update when told to, have tried all parts, eg. mouse, keyboard, hub, etc. on laptop & ALL work fine. Have had this recurring problem on desktop since Windows 7 added instead of XP. I was told XP was going to be defunct soon & would shut down, hence the upgrade.

I couldnt fix myself as I have bad arthritis in my hands, so would be dangerous to even try it.

Apart from the keyboard not working, everything else is very fast, loads in a flash, gives lots of info, etc.

Laptop still on Vista, which I hate ! Not meddling with that at all.

My pc is often my lifeline for shopping, etc. when I cant get out (last winter was bad), so I place order to Asda, get it delivered & can eat again for another week or so, lol.

I really appreciate your advice.

Love & light

dk
Joe
#1874 | Posted: 29 Feb 2012 00:34
dreamkatcher:
Have had this recurring problem on desktop since Windows 7 added instead of XP. I was told XP was going to be defunct soon & would shut down, hence the upgrade.

Was this advice given to you by the same Bas***d who changed your motherboard?

I have XP and in my opinion, it's still the best operating system. I cannot see XP being "defunct" for along time to come in the future.

Many people that have bought this so-called Win 7 upgrade, have had problems, and have reverted to XP; in fact, they would not buy a new computer from the shop until XP was loaded back on.
Arrmand
#1875 | Posted: 29 Feb 2012 11:32
dreamkatcher:
Thanks Arrmand, that is a lovely thought & appreciated.

Your very welcome DK I know only too well what its like to be with out a computer its not fun and not nice.
 Page:  ««  1  2  ...  123  124  125  126  127  ...  196  197  »» 
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please enter your login/password details upon posting a message, or sign up first
TO JOIN THIS FORUM: WE ARE NOT ADMITTING NEW MEMBERS AT THIS POINT IN TIME. THIS IS DUE TO PREVIOUS TROLLS ATTACKING THE FORUM.
We may be considering adding new members on a "block basis". We will collect new member requests and then introduce a new batch. The new memebrs will be identifiable by a prefix in their username as a "new member". Anyone considered to be trolling or causing trouble will be immedialtey removed. To be put on the list please email richard@richplanet.net AND GIVE YOUR US NAME, A USERNAME, PASSWORD. I would imagine a new batch of new members will be added in January 2012.

Forums are powered by miniBB®